A campaign is a marketing message that you share through email or ads. In Mailchimp, most users start with a regular email campaign, which is a bulk email sent to many contacts at once. When you create a regular email campaign in Mailchimp, you’ll use a checklist-style Campaign Builder to add recipients, choose your settings, and design your content.
In this article, you’ll learn how to create a regular email campaign in Mailchimp.
Create a campaign
To create a regular email campaign, follow these steps.
- Navigate to the Campaigns page.
- Click Create Campaign.
- Click Email.
- On the Regular tab, enter a campaign name and click Begin.
This will take you to the Campaign Builder, where you’ll choose your settings and design your content.
Setup and design
Our campaign builder is designed to let you work on the different parts of your campaign in the order you choose, and review everything at once before you send.
There are four main things to do before you can send.
- Add your recipients in the To section.
- Add your from name and from email address in the From section.
- Add your subject line in the Subject section.
- Design your email in the Content section.
As each task is completed, a green checkmark will appear next to the corresponding section.
You may also want to review your tracking options and other settings.
To choose your recipients, follow these steps.
- In the To section, click Add Recipients.
- In the Audience drop-down menu, choose the audience you want to send to.
- In the Segment drop-down menu, choose All subscribers in audience, Group or new segment, or one of the available saved or pre-built options.
- Optional: Check the Personalize the “To” field box to display the recipient’s name instead of their email address. This is more personal and may help you avoid spam filters.
After you check the box, you’ll choose a merge tag that corresponds with the data you want to display in the “To” field. For example, if you choose *|FNAME|*, a recipient named Bob will see “To: Bob” instead of “To: [email protected]” The default options are *|FNAME|*, *|LNAME|*, and *|FNAME|* *|LNAME|*, but you can click Custom to enter an alternate tag or text.
- Click Save.
Add from name and from email address
To set your from name and from email address, follow these steps.
- In the From section of the campaign builder, click Add From.
- Enter your from name and email address.
You may be asked to verify the domain in your email address.
- Click Save.
To set your subject line and optional preview text, follow these steps.
- In the Subject section of the campaign builder, click Add Subject.
- In the Subject field, enter a subject line for your email.
- In the Preview text field, you can enter up to 150 characters that will display next to your subject line in recipients’ inboxes. This field is optional.
- Click Save.
To design the content for your campaign, follow these steps.
- In the Content section of the campaign builder, click Design Email.
- Choose a template to start with. Depending on your plan, you may not have access to all of the template options. To find out what features are included in each plan, check out our pricing page.
You’ll see five categories of templates: Layouts, Themes, Saved, Campaigns, and Code your own. To learn more about each, take a look at Types of Templates.
- In the email designer, input and customize your campaign content.
- Click the Preview and Test drop-down menu to access powerful testing tools before you send your email.
Learn more about how to preview and test your campaign for web and mobile.
- After you complete your design, click Save and Continue.
Settings and tracking
When you create a regular email campaign, we go ahead and enable certain tracking options by default. This includes open and click tracking, as well as e-commerce tracking if you have a connected online store.
To edit the tracking options for your campaign, follow these steps.
- Scroll to the Settings & Tracking section and click Edit.
- Check the boxes next to the tracking options you want to enable.
- Click Save.